Monday, June 30, 2014

Food makes me happy

             I was on the 9th episode of House M.D, when the phone rang. I jumped to get the phone. For last 2 weeks, I was waiting for a call from the company. Days rolled by, but there was no news about the joining date. I had decided to divert my attention from the whole issue by watching TV series one after the other.
             The number flashing on the screen was unknown. I picked it up, hoping it was THE CALL.

            "Hello" I said calmly.
            "Hey! What's up?" said the female voice on the other side.
            "Who's this?" I said in a disappointed tone. I knew this was not the call I was waiting for.
            "This is Shruthi, you idiot! I m calling from Mom's phone. No balance in mine, as usual."

            The plan was made. I did not want to talk about all that was happening. I simply wanted to take my mind off it. She suggested we all meet for pot lunch.
            "What is a pot lunch?" I asked ignorantly.
            "Well, pot lunch means we all get food from our homes and meet for lunch. Each one brings a special dish and we all finish it up."
            "Oh! Well, I will do the baking stuff. Who else is coming?"

             It was too humid for June. With our food bags, we walked gingerly down the narrow lane that took us to Dalia's apartment. Our clothes stuck to our backs. Malavika, Shruthi and I were too fatigued by the time we were at her door. We had been up early to get the dishes ready.

            We settled on the sofa as soon as we entered. The air condition seemed like a divine blessing. Dalia's parents were away so it was just the four of us. Dalia, who had disappeared into the kitchen, came back with a tray containing four glasses and large jug.
         
           The jug was crystal clear and the sparkling drink inside was making me even more thirsty. The mint leaves and lemon slices had settled at the bottom of the jug and ice cubes were melting away. The vision was refreshing.
          "I tried to make virgin mojito at home" Dalia said gleefully.
           I offered to pour the drink. I was surprised by the lightness of the jug. It looked heavier that it was!
   
          As the flavor of mint and lime made us cool and relaxed, the fatigue was getting away. She had even added a little jaljira.
          "Wow, this is just like the one we get at KFC!" remarked Shruthi.

         When the four of us meet, there is no limitation to what we talk of. Weird facts, movies, clothes, lingerie, actors, college romance, tv series, books and everything under the sun is discussed. Time just flies!
       
         " I m hungry. Let's get the dishes out." Malavika said.
         "Oh crap.. I had kept the pizza out like that. The cheese must have melted away" Shruthi panicked.
         "Don't worry. I put it in the fridge" Dalia said, as we followed her into the kitchen.

          The kitchen was spic and span. Definitely her mother's work! A clear glass gourmet, containing biryani ,was on the counter. Dalia put the gas on and placed the gourmet on it.
          "Dalia!!! Are you supposed to heat that way?" Malavika shrieked.
          "Don't worry. This wont break or anything. It is borosil."
          "What? You mean borosilicate? Type 1 glass that we use for injectibles!" I was amused.
          "Yea, yea I know you know pharmaceutics. This is that type 1 glass. Can withstand temperature and won't leach. Totally safe." she added.
           "Duh! I know type 1 glass is safe. That is why we use it for injectibles!" Shruthi said.
           "Enough of pharmaceutics guys! This thing is just so convenient! You can cook in it and heat in it and best thing is that you can see what is in it from outside. I can see all the layers of biryani! Looks yummmy!" said Malavika.

           Malavika had brought pasta. Dalia put it in a set of bowls and put it in the microwave. Out came the pasta, hot and delicious. It was fusilli pasta, spiral and in colors of green, red, and white. It looked mouth-watering. Malavika grated cheese to use it as a topping.

           Dalia retrieved the pizza from fridge. She had put the 2 pizzas in plates.
           " Put it in the microwave pan for sometime." Shruthi suggested.
           " These are microwavable plates. I will put these directly in the microwave and we are ready to eat!" Dalia quipped.
           "This is superb! I made the dough myself. I think this plate can be used to make even the pizza dough, right?" Shruthi was in awe of the pizza plate.
           "Yes. You can make the dough in the plate, use the plate to serve and even reheat in the same plate."
            "Saves a lot of dish washing!" joked Malavika.

            My stomach was grumbling already. The food looked so irresistible, adorned in those beautiful crockery. Borosil was adding on to the aesthetic value of food.
         
            The tangy, saucy, savory pasta was finished effortlessly. The rich flavors of biryani was relished slowly. The biryani was exotic with the right amount of spice and tender meat and served with raita. The scrumptious pizza, with cheese dripping through it, was ambrosial. The virgin mojito kept company throughout the meal. It was a good thing that she had made it in excess because we were totally mad over it!

            After the meal, I took out my special dish. Brownies! I had made it a little hard with walnut in it. We ordered vanilla ice cream from a nearby shop. Dalia had chocolate sauce in the house.
            We put the brownies in the little katories and added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and topped it with chocolate sauce. It was heaven for the sweet tooth! The brownie had turned out rich and chocolaty. A little coffee powder, that I had used, had given it a great aroma and the vanilla and chocolate sauce were a great combination with brownies. Those little katories were the cutest of the borosil variety I had seen that day!

           Great company, delicious food and beautiful crockery had made it  an awesome pot lunch.

           "We should do it again!" Malavika said.
           "Definitely. Before that, I want to know where you got this mind blowing crockery from?" I asked.
           " Ordered it online! Go to www.myborosil.com and you can get a range of microwavable, trendsetting utensils and also appliances." Dalia said.

           I came home that day, a lot happier and full. I checked out the site and indeed it was tempting to purchase all of their products!

          Won't you love it if you got your virgin mojito in a jug like this?

                                           


          What could make a biryani even more sumptuous? Maybe a gourmet like this?
                                             

           Can pizza seduce the taste buds more? Maybe a pizza plate could! 

                
                               

           I would love my desserts in this. Won't you?

                                   
        


               Bon appetit says the bowl





This post is written for My beautiful food contest held by Indiblogger and Borosil

20 comments:

Sreeja Praveen said...

Holy Ramadan began yesterday.Here at the UAE, we can't eat at our office, because our colleagues are fasting, unless we go to the pantry. Even to drink Tea, that is :)
I just opened this post and read it :D What have you done to me sweetheart ? :P The description just bowled me over and I'm already imagining the brownies with chocolate sauce and vanilla topping ! Heaven !!!

Beautifully written :)
All the best for the contest :)

Red Handed said...

hai hai hai...I am trying to diet and you are killing it all with such posts. I WANT PIZZA NOW!!

Soumya said...

Hahaha I echo Red's comment! :D

Keirthana said...

Sigh! You made me hungry although I had my lunch just an hour back. Those items look so yummy!

the little princess said...

the food looks yummy and enticing...!!!!!!!!!! food here I come!! so much for the bowl of oats I had in the morning!!

maithili said...

I m all smiles reading your comment. That's my comfort food. If nothing goes right, brownies with vanilla will :) You will be gorging after the Ramadan I m sure :D

Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment

maithili said...

I m forever trying to diet. Post toh bas bahana hai, red ko pizza khana hai :D

maithili said...

join the club :D Atleast you have lost weight, I m just trying to diet yet :D

maithili said...

Thank you Keirthana. Haha m I contributing to the stats of hungry people :D

maithili said...

thank you :D Haha oats?? Dieiting, are we? Go for masala oats in different flavors :D

Wings of Harmony said...

Uff, the description of all that mouth watering food, Sis!! :D :D :D Brilliant!! Tumhare brownies toh try karne hi padenge! :D

Unknown said...

Haha...wow such fun read...I don't know what I miss the most...our awesome college lunch hour gossip or cheesy pizza n hot brownies! :D ;)

Unknown said...

Haha...wow such fun read...I don't know what I miss the most...our awesome college lunch hour gossip or cheesy pizza n hot brownies! :D ;)

My Cactus Dress said...

I am a fulltime foodie and a part time aspiring chef and this post was a treat. I am loving those fancy glassware.

Anita Jeyan said...

First thing- Where is my comment? :-o
I completely love the Transparent gourmet for Biryani !
Nice post !

ʞɐ said...

Hello there,
Hope everything is fine on your end.
Just dropped by to deliver a small news.
Congratulations, you have been awarded the Liebster Award . Please go to the below link for details.
Liebster Award
Thanks for your time. :)
Take Care.

maithili said...

zaroor try karaungi :D

maithili said...

ofcourse the gossip :D

maithili said...

haha the glasswares inspire me to cook :D

maithili said...

Thank you Anita :D