Sunday, January 16, 2011

love is not enough (part 3)

   He saw her and his face brightened up. She was the only girl in his life who had made him so crazy. He had been in relations earlier too but it was different with Renuka. He had never seen anyone so selfless. She could bear all the hurt and problems life hurled at her but never see her family facing any problem. He wanted a girl with such strong family values to be his life partner. He was convinced she didn't love Arun but was obliged to be in the relation because her parents wanted her to. He could wait for her as long as she wanted. Jai was confident that she was his true love and she would too realise it someday.
   He got up and gave her a quick hug when she reached the table. She sat down and her expression was more serious this time. He would tell her today everything. She was low and he could always make her smile. Today was a special day for him. Even though he had confessed his love for her several times, today he would ask her for marriage. He smiled to himself before he said," Renu, I want to ask you something very important."
   Renu sighed. She didn't want him to have a chance to pop the question. She said grimly," Jai, I want you to listen to me first." This time he noted that she was sad about something. He let her speak.
  "Jai you are very special to me and I like you a lot. But my family is very orthodox and they have been introduced to Arun already. They would never accept my decision to spend my life with anyone else. They have no financial support other than me. I have sisters who are soon going to be of marriagable age. I can't spoil the family reputation for my happiness. My sisters would have to pay for it and my parents would outcast me.What would they do without me? I can't ditch my family for my happiness." She had tears welled up in her eyes.
  Jai would never get to know that she had not once corresponded with her family in so many years. Her sisters were not lucky enough to escape the village and had all been married long back. She didn't have to think about anyone but herself.
  Jai had a look of dejection on his face. How could he hurt a girl like that? How could he leave her parents helpless because he wanted to marry her? His dreams were shattered now and the good news he recieved in the morning now seemed useless. He wanted to give her all the comforts but this girl wanted only the happiness of her family. How could he ever give her that? He knew that even if she married him she would repent it sooner or later. Her family meant everything to her. His respect for her had increased many folds now.
  "Renu ,I understand what you feel. I never had a family like you do and thought that a girl like you would complete my family. But for that, I can't let you sacrifice everything. I finally got the court case cleared and in a few days I will get my share of the estate. I wanted you to marry me. Now it seems all materialistic. I have the money but I don't have you. I don't want to be in this place any longer because it would remind me everyday what I lack in life. I am leaving for Assam today itself and will settle there to look after the estate. I wish you to be happy always. " He couldn't meet her eye and quietly made his exit.
    She was too stunned. What had she done? Not only did she lose a fortune but also the love of a person who had made her happy. She was foolish not to let him talk first. Love is not enough but this time it really was enough....

4 comments:

Ash D said...

wow. Dunno what to say actually. It's good! :)

maithili said...

thanks...

The Enigma said...

Wow... I liked the story.. it was so nice.. well written :)

maithili said...

@Enigma : thanks :)